With Holi around the corner, don’t be fooled by fake emails and social networking feeds that offer free Bollywood Holi party passes or share celebrity updates. It is that time of the year again when social media witnesses a spike in malicious activities and cyber goons would not miss any opportunity to scam you or steal your personal information
Here are a list of Do’s and Don’t from Norton – these small simple steps when followed, ensure you stay safe throughout the year with your valuable data :
- Keep the settings private, so only select friends can find you.
- Be mindful when accepting friend requests, and never accept a request from someone you don’t know.
- Post or respond carefully as it never goes away.
- Be cautious about responding to strange messages or clicking links.
- Ask people’s permission before passing on their personal information or tagging their pictures on social networks.
- Use free tools such as Safe Web for Facebook to scan news feeds and identify URLs containing security risks such as phishing sites, malicious downloads and links to unsafe external sites.
Following netiquettes for being a netizen is equally important, Symantec suggests you do not absolutely forget the following too :
- Set a password to lock the keypad and screen to keep your information private in case of device theft
- Choose all mobile applications wisely, and read through their terms and conditions before pressing “Agree” to avoid giving away too much personal information.
- Make sure your mobile security software is up to date
- Do not click on link over text messages and reply to unknown callers or text messages.
- Be cautious on public Wi-Fi networks before pairing your mobile devices.
Do have a safe and enjoyable Holi !