You know that sinking feeling you get when you lose something really important? Imagine it’s your BlackBerry smartphone.Don’t panic. With BlackBerry Protect, what’s lost can be found. So let’s see if BlackBerry Protect is worth an Install or Not.
BlackBerry Protect is a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure. It can also offer peace of mind for small businesses and families, with the ability to protect multiple smartphones.
Here are some of the highlights of this app :
- Can’t find your BlackBerry? Go to www.blackberry.com/protect to locate it on a map.
- Set a password and lock it to protect your information
- Wipe all the contents
- Make your BlackBerry ring loudly to help find it
- Display a message on the home screen instructing whoever finds it on how to return it
- Wireless Backup and Restore
- Wirelessly back up contacts, calendar, memos, tasks, browser bookmarks, and text messages
- Automatically back up daily, weekly, or monthly
- Wirelessly restore your backed up data when switching to a new BlackBerry
- Save on data usage by:
- Only backing up information that has changed from the previous backup (incremental backups)
- Only backing up over Wi-Fi
- Preventing backup while roaming
To use Protect for BlackBerry smartphones, you will need the following:
BlackBerry® Device Software Version 4.6 or later
BlackBerry ID (Also used to use AppWorld)
Supported Countries: All except South Korea & United Arab Emirates
[tab name=”Quick Facts”]
Here are some quick facts about this app which you must know :
- Download link
- Device used to review
- Install directory
- Multitasking capabilities
- Runtime enviornment
< add more after discussion >
[tab name=”Our Take”]
On a lighter note I can say that RIM has taken the advice of wise men who have said the simple is the best. This app reflect RIM’s trademark style with utmost simplicity. And I guess apps such as this need to have a simple interface. The design is pretty good, interface is user-friendly, fairly easy to use and understand.
Ease of Use
As I said, it’s easy to use. RIM has been smart enough and has distinct and self-explanatory options which do not confuse the user. At the start the process of signing in the application seems tedious but is fruitful to get the desired use out of this app.
Well, a dedicated server by Research in Motion has advantages, and this is the most distinct advantage. You can go to the BlackBerry protect website, Login with your BlackBerry ID and track your phone with the help of your BlackBerry ID & PIN. The highlight of this feature is, if the phone is in the same room and still you aren’t able to find it, you can use the option of “Make your device ring loudly to help you find it even if sound is currently turned off.”. I tested all the features, including wireless backup, scheduled back and locate and they all worked very smooth – with simple on screen instructions and settings which need to be followed by the user. It’s disappointing that BlackBerry Protect is not compatible with devices that use the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express.
[tab name=”Install or Not”]
- Simple and light interface
- Compatible with all BlackBerrys (OS 4.6
- Secure data transfer over dedicatedBlackBerry servers
- GPS is a must
- Setting it up can take a while
I strongly recommend this app, it’s very useful. Useful when you lose your phone or your data. App also comes handy when you switch phones, you can seemlessly transfer your data from your old BlackBerry to the new one. [/tab]
Here are some screenshots which will help you get a feel of the app :
[easyreview title=”Install or Not Scorecard” cat1title=”Design” cat1detail=”” cat1rating=”3″ cat2title=”Ease of Use” cat2detail=”” cat2rating=”4″ cat3title=”Performance” cat3detail=”” cat3rating=”4″ summary=””]