GoPro the company known for its action camera lineup launched the HERO7 Black with Hypersmooth Gimbal-like stabilization last year. Today, the company has launched the successor to the HERO7, GoPro HERO8 Black Action Camera along with GoPro MAX 360-degree Action Camera and various Mods for these cameras.
GoPro HERO8 Black features a 12MP camera with frameless mounting and built-in folding mounting fingers, and a frameless design that now makes swapping battery and SD cards faster compared to the previous generation. It now features an upgraded HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization that works in all resolutions and frame rates and also features a new Boost mode that cranks up the stabilization when desired. It now also supports four digital lenses -Narrow, distortion-free Linear, Wide and SuperView.
The TimeWarp 2.0 automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting and one can tap to slow down to real-time and again to speed back up. The HERO8 Black can capture 4K 60fps video + 1080p 240fps video with bit rate options of up to 100Mbps, and 8x slo-mo ultra-high frame rate 1080p240 video. Other features include RAW in all Photo modes, Night Lapse video, Live Streaming, and more.
Highlights of GoPro HERO8 Black
- 12MP sensor
- Video: 4K at 60fps, 4K (4:3) at 30fps, 2.7K at 120fps, 2.7K (4:3) at 60fps, 1440p at 120fps, and 1080p at 240fps
- Framless design
- HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization
- TimeWarp 2.0
- LiveBurst mode
- Ability to capture Presets
- Night Lapse video in 4K, 2.7K, 1440p or 1080p resolution
- Live streaming in FULL HD 1080p resolution
- 3 microphones with reduced wind noise
- Waterproof up to 33ft (10m)
- 1220mAh battery
- Dimensions: 66.3 W x 48.6 H x 28.4 D mm; Weight: 126g
Alongside the HERO8 Black, GoPro also unveiled the ‘GoPro MAX’ which is a successor to GoPro Fusion 360-degree camera launched last year. GoPRO MAX is a 360-degree action that can be used as a single lens max stabilized HERO camera, a dual lens 360 camera or as a vlogging camera. Similar to the HERO8 Black, it also sports a built-in folding mounting fingers, features Max HyperSmooth video stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate buffer, Max TimeWarp, and Max SuperView. When creating 360 edits, MAX users now have Reframe, the GoPro app’s new keyframe-based editing experience and it matches the power of desktop 360 editing solutions. It also allows capturing 70-degree distortion-free Panorama shots and supports 5.6K 30fps 360 video, 1440p at 60fps, 1080p at 60fps HERO Mode video, 5.5MP HERO photos and 6.2MP PowerPano photos.
Highlights of GoPro MAX
- 16.6MP 360 Photo / 5.5MP HERO Mode Photo
- 270° 6.2MP Panoramic Photo
- 5.6K 30fps spherical video
- Image: 5.5MP HERO photos and 6.2MP PowerPano photos
- Video: 5.6K at 30fps 360 video, 1440p at 60fps, 1080p at 60fps
- Removable battery
- Waterproof up to 16ft (5m)
- HERO + 360 Capture Modes – Allows you to switch between traditional HERO-style video and photo or immersive 360 footage
- Max HyperSmooth video stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate buffer
- In-Camera Horizon Leveling
- In-Camera stitching
- Max TimeWarp – Warps time in both 360 and HERO modes
- 1080p Live streaming
- Ability to use Max SuperView on Digital lenses
- 270° distortion-free Panorama shots
- 6 mics that enable shotgun-mic audio performance
- 1600mAh battery
- Dimensions: 64W x 69H x 24 D mm; Weight: 154g
Furthermore, GoPro has also launched three new Mods – Media Mod, Display Mod, and Light Mode for these action cameras.